Department of History

Undergraduate FAQ

Answers to frequently asked questions from undergraduate students.

The department's award-winning faculty trains students in the fundamentals of historical thinking and practice, skills and habits of mind that provide a foundation for excellence in a wide range of careers and professions, including teaching, law, medicine, business, public service, and advanced historical research. Brown’s history graduates can be found in virtually every profession, where their critical thinking skills, their capacity to analyze context and causality, and their experience working with documentary evidence are prized.

Self-reported Occupations of History Concentrators After Graduation

View the guidelines on the Graduate FAQ page.

Please use this list of this year's offerings.

​If the history course was taken in a Brown-run study abroad program, you automatically receive University transfer credit.

If the history course was taken in a non-Brown study abroad program, please go see the transfer credit advisor, Professor Kenneth Sacks, with the syllabus or syllabi. Do not substitute the course number or name of a Brown HIST course. Use the original course name.

Yes. Up to 2 courses may be counted towards the concentration if you go away for a semester, and up to 3 classes may be counted if you go away for a full year.

  • If yours was a NOT a Brown study abroad program: (1) get approval from the transfer credit advisor by showing syllabus/syllabi and transcript. (2) After securing approval, follow steps below for Brown study abroad programs.
  • If yours was a Brown study abroad program: no need to get approval from transfer credit advisor; simply get approval from your concentration advisor upon return. Bring your syllabus/syllabi to the concentration advisor. Once approved, complete the approval through the ASK/Advising Sidekick system.
  1. Choose change/edit
  2. Click "add course"
  3. From the drop menu for "source," choose "manually create"
  4. For "institution," choose "non-Brown"
  5. Fill in with name of school + course name

Study abroad courses may be used to fulfill the "P" requirement so long as they are clearly history courses with at least 2/3 of the course content examining the "premodern" or "early modern" periods. Your concentration advisor will determine whether or not a study abroad course fulfills a chronological requirement.

Study abroad courses can count towards the 2 possible "external" courses. (One additional "internal" course may count if you're away for two semesters). This means, however, all other remaining courses must be taught by a faculty member with an official affiliation with the Brown History Department.  

Additional Concentration Information

Brown degree holders have gone on to edit and write for major publications; participate in public policy and lead nonprofits; perform historical consulting and work in public history; and direct educational programs at every level.
If you’re a concentrator or interested in concentrating, there’s an advisor standing by to help you.
The field of focus may be geographical (such as Latin America) or geographical and chronological (such as Modern North America) or transnational (such as ancient world) or thematic (such as urban history).